When Mercury Retrogrades
By Molly Hall, About.com Guide
What is Mercury Retrograde?:
This happens three to four times per year, when the planet Mercury slows down, and appears to stop (station) and move backward (retrograde). It’s an optical illusion, since there is forward movement, like speeding by a slow-moving train — as it recedes, it appears to go backward.
I saw this on a road trip, driving alongside a moving train going slower than my little white Subaru — it really does play tricks with your mind!
While delays and misunderstandings do seem to happen, I’ve noticed a magical trend — that people and ideas return, for integration, resolution and more.
Mercury Retrograde dates for 2017:
The communications planet, Mercury, goes retrograde (or backwards) 4x in 2017. Here’s your GO TO GUIDE to all of the Mercury Retrograde 2017 dates to know about.
He’ll retro for the most part through the EARTH & FIRE signs this go round which will affect the signs of Aries, Leo, Sagittarius, Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn most prominently. Keep in mind, however, that Mercury retrogrades can affect everyone depending on where he’s traveling through your personal astrology.
These periods are notoriously known for being problematic in areas of communications, travel and technology. You can, however, use these periods to your advantage if you know how to deal with the energy in play. Mercury is a little trickster after all – so if you know what’s up his sleeve you can beat him at his game.
Mercury Retrograde #1: Dec 19th, 2016 – Jan 8th, 2017: Mercury Rx in Sagittarius/ Capricorn
- Enter Shadow Zone: December 1st, 2016 @ 28 degrees Sagittarius 51’ seconds
- Rx Begins: December 19th, 2016 @ 15 degrees Capricorn 8’ seconds
- Rx Ends: January 8th, 2017 @ 28 degrees Sagittarius 51’ seconds
- Leave Shadow Zone : January 27th, 2017 @ 15 degrees Capricorn 8’ seconds
Mercury Retrograde #2: April 9th – May 3rd, 2017: Mercury Rx in Aries/Taurus
- Enter Shadow Zone: March 27th, 2017 @ 24 degrees Aries 16’ seconds
- Rx Begins: April 9th, 2017 @ 04 degrees Taurus 51’seconds
- Rx Ends: May 3rd, 2017 @ 24 degrees Aries 16’ seconds
- Leave Shadow Zone : May 20th, 2017 @ 04 degrees Taurus 51’seconds
Mercury Retrograde #3: August 12th – Sept. 5th, 2017: Mercury Rx in Leo/Virgo
- Enter Shadow Zone: July 24th, 2017 @28 degrees Leo 25’ seconds
- Rx Begins: August 12th, 2017 @ 11 degrees Virgo 38’ seconds
- Rx Ends: September 5th, 2017 @ 28 degrees Leo 25’ seconds
- Leave Shadow Zone : September 19th, 2017 @11 degrees Virgo 38’ seconds
Mercury Retrograde #4: December 3rd – December 22nd, 2017: Mercury Rx in Sagittarius
- Enter Shadow Zone: November 14th, 2017 @ 13 degrees Sagittarius 00’ seconds
- Rx Begins: December 3rd, 2017 @ 29 degrees Sagittarius 18’ seconds
- Rx Ends: December 22nd, 2017 @ 13 degrees Sagittarius 00’ seconds
- Leave Shadow Zone : January 10th, 2018 @29 degrees Sagittarius 18’ seconds
* Make note of each Mercury Retrograde Shadow Period (pre & post) which are short periods before and after the retro. The “before” is the time to prepare and get ready while the “after” is the time to take it all in and process what happened.
By Molly Hall, About.com Guide
Mercury is the messenger, and in this time, the delivery is warped or the message gets lost en route. Some people find that their computers go on the fritz or phone lines go down. If you’re at all jittery about it, go ahead and back up your important files.
There can be delays, so give yourself plenty of time to get places. What happens in those down times? Mercury retro is known to be a time of ‘fated’ events — who will you meet? What will be revealed?
Err on Side of Caution:
Can you repeat that?:
Back to the Drawing Board:
What does it mean in each different sign?:
Making the Most of Mercury Retrograde:
A major cause of stress at Mercury retrograde is frustration from mishaps, things breaking down, computers going black. But if we know it’s cycle, this makes it feel less terminal. If things go pear-shaped, see what’s there to see. Take a break from the usual routine.
Just observe and see what happens, and be open to the past returning for review. If it’s coming back, there’s likely something more to learn or release from it. This can be a good (and productive) time, in its own way.